Welcome to the Honors College’s website! I am glad you have found us.
With more than fifty years of honors education on campus, UNC Charlotte has been committed for most of its relatively young life to educating and supporting curious, academically motivated students. The Honors College, like the University, is an urban research institution. This means that honors – as we do it here – connects to Charlotte and the community while focused on undergraduate research.
Some quick facts about the Honors College:
- 30 honors programs: core interdisciplinary University Honors Program and 29 discipline-based programs in colleges and departments.
- ~ 800 honors students; planning to grow to 1,000+.
- Albert and Martin Scholars full-ride merit scholarship programs; Johnson and Freeman Scholars, tuition and fees scholarships.
- 10 staff, 2 faculty fellows, 2 student interns, 29 honors program directors, faculty governance by 11-person Honors Council elected by 172 Honors Faculty, 6-person Advisory Board.
- Competitive fellowships and pre-health professions advising for all University studentsMany students enter honors as first semester students continue through all four years at the University. The oldest and largest multi-year program, the University Honors Program, serves as the core honors program available to any major. Students often enter disciplinary honors programs as well – with 29 to choose from, honors is available to almost every major on campus! This makes honors accessible to transfer students and those continuing students who become interested in undergraduate research while at the UniversityI hope it is apparent from our website that honors at UNC Charlotte is all about creating a community of diverse yet like-minded people. Students come together in the honors residence Levine Hall, in our community office space (with free printing!), in interdisciplinary seminars about Big Ideas, and for social events and workshops on everything from career development, graduate school, winning competitive national and international fellowships, study abroad and more. Call our reception desk any time (704.687.7197) to speak to one of our staff who can tell you about the honors experience here.
Like UNC Charlotte, honors here is growing! We have committed and talented faculty and staff, some of whom have been with the Honors College more than 20 years and others who have just joined the team. This keeps continuity of key traditions and brings fresh eyes and new opportunities.
Dr. Malin Pereira, Dean
Professor of English