To support students in achieving success in the three pillars of scholarship and applied learning, campus involvement and leadership, and professional development, the Albert Engineering Leadership Scholars Program provides students with the following:
- An annual renewable merit scholarship, including tuition, fees, room and board ($21,500 a year)
- Membership in the University Honors Program
- Automatic acceptance into the Engineering Leadership Academy
- $6,000 stipend to support housing and meals during a summer internship
- $2,500 stipend for study abroad
- Research and professional development opportunities
- Laptop or comparable technology purchase
- Opportunity to earn Engineering Honors through the multidisciplinary Senior Design Project team during the senior year
- Admittance to special lectures conducted by national and community leaders
- Priority registration
- Housing in Levine Hall with students from other honors programs and merit scholars
- Support and advising from the Albert Faculty Fellow
ADMISSION AND ELIGIBILITY
- Applicants must be incoming first-year students being considered for full-time enrollment at UNC Charlotte in a baccalaureate program offered by The William States Lees College of Engineering for the fall term immediately following high school graduation
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Applicants must hold an outstanding academic record of consistently advanced coursework, have had prior experiences which reflect ethical leadership and individual development, and demonstrate a commitment to community service
- Preference given to students with an unweighted HS GPA = 3.50-4.00 OR weighted HS GPA = 3.80-5.00 AND SAT = 1320/1600 OR ACT 28/36
- Applicants are expected to submit a list of activities, two academic letters of recommendation, one leadership recommendation, and two thoughtfully considered essays
- Demonstrated alignment with the mission and values of the Honors College and the University Honors Program
HOW TO APPLY:
The Albert Engineering Leadership Scholarship application is made available to qualified students through the NinerScholars Portal. To learn more about the scholarship application process, students may visit the University Scholarship Office website.
To apply for the Albert Engineering Leadership Scholars Program:
- Complete the UNC Charlotte Admission Application by the early action deadline of November 1, 2023
- Complete the Honors College Admission Application by the priority deadline of December 1, 2023
- Complete the Albert Engineering Leadership Scholarship application in the NinerScholars Portal by December 15, 2023
1. List of activities
Please list and briefly describe any honors, awards, accomplishments, leadership positions, paid employment, and significant extracurricular activities (ex. community service, clubs, sports, band, orchestra) you have earned or held during high school. Indicate the organization's full name rather than the acronym for the organization. Add your activities in order of importance to you, with the first activity being the most important. Be sure to include your name at the top.
2. Two essays
We are providing the essay prompts here, so you have time to thoughtfully prepare your response.
The purpose of these essays is to help us get to know you as a person and understand how you think. You should submit polished writing that demonstrates authenticity, creativity, and analytical reflection. The best essays will give the review committee a clear sense of the unique intellectual and creative contributions you are poised to make to the UNC Charlotte community.
Please make sure to specifically address the prompt provided in no more than 500 words, or your application will not be considered.
Honors and merit scholars programs at UNC Charlotte expect you to be intellectually curious. Tell us in your own words how you have demonstrated intellectual curiosity in your life so far. Use specific examples from your own life experiences to illustrate your perspective on intellectual curiosity and how it has impacted your learning.
Essay 2 (submitted through NinerScholars Portal by 12/15)
Please make sure to specifically address the prompt provided in 500-700 words, or your application will not be considered.
Describe a time when you crossed a social, cultural, geographical, intellectual or other type of actual or perceived boundary. Tell us about that boundary. What challenges did you and/or others experience? What did you and/or others gain?
3. Three letters of recommendation
Two academic letters of recommendation
An academic reference is defined as a current or former teacher, or professor, who was your instructor for at least one academic course. Family members, friends, current/former employers or co-workers, leaders of a faith-based or community organizations, etc. should not be used as academic references.
One leadership letter of recommendation (submitted through NinerScholars Portal by 12/15)
A leadership reference is an individual who has witnessed you in a leadership role with an academic club/organization, faith-based or community organization, part or full-time job, or other setting. Choose an individual who can provide specific information about times when you have demonstrated leadership qualities or qualities you have displayed that indicate potential to be a leader. Your reference may also speak about organizations you are part of which develop leadership skills or allow you to serve in a leadership role. Examples of strong Leadership References include leaders of a faith-based or community organization, counselors or academic advisors, club advisors, or current/former employers or co-workers if appropriate. Family members and friends should not be used as leadership references.
We suggest that you select and approach your recommenders now. Teachers have busy schedules and writing detailed letters of recommendation is a time-consuming process.
Early action deadline to apply to UNC Charlotte to be considered for the Albert Engineering Leadership Scholars Program and University Honors Program
Deadline to complete the Honors College Application (including academic letters of recommendation)
Deadline to submit the Albert Engineering Leadership Scholarship application in NinerScholars Portal
Finalists will be notified
Virtual interviews for finalists
Albert Engineering Leadership Scholars Program offers extended